Thursday, June 9, 2011

no man's land.


perhaps tomorrow I'll write a post with a relevant picture to go with it


It was always such a tricky question to answer when someone asked you what grade you were in when it was summer. Do you say, I just finished 5th grade or I am going to be in 6th? Do you say I'm a 5th Grader or do you say I'm a 6th Grader? Perhaps summer is really a no man's land. You aren't in school, therefore how could you be in a grade. Couldn't you just say, I'm 11 years old instead? It reminds me of Le Petite Prince, which says...

Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: "What does his voice sound like?" "What games does he like best?" "Does he collect butterflies?". They ask: "How old is he?" "How many brothers does he have?" "How much does he weigh?" "How much money does his father make?" Only then do they think they know him. 


Now that it's summer, I find myself wondering how to answer that question for the last time of all my school years. (I hadn't thought about it that way yet. Oh dear.) I've decided I'm perfectly fine with just being 16 years old. I'm no longer a junior, and not yet a senior. I'm just 16. 




XO ROSIE

No comments: